Importing a Vehicle from U. S to Canada: Steps you Should Know


When shipping a vehicle to another country, there are many things to think about. Some countries have import/export agreements that make vehicle passage across borders easy and affordable. However, laws, regulations, and taxes can vary by country. Shiply, used by millions of people is a leading shipping comparison tool. It has an innovative concept and a beautiful design. Shiply offers affordable rates and delivers on time.

 Importing a vehicle to Canada is regulated by different government agencies.  That is why importers must understand the process well to know what they are getting into. Whether you are importing a commercial or recreational vehicle from the U. S. to Canada, below are the steps to help you avoid having it refused entry, border delays, and potential penalties with the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA). 

Make Sure Your Vehicle is Admissible 

Your car should meet the requirements of the CBSA, Transport Canada, Canadian Food Inspection Agency, Environment and Climate Change Canada, and U. S. Customs and Border Protection. Your vehicle must be on the list of admissible vehicles on Transport Canada and pass the Registrar of Imported Vehicles (RIV) inspection.

Meet Documentation Requirements

If you want to import a car to Canada you must have the required documents for RIV, U. S. Customs and Border Protecting, and CBSA. These include the original title, the manufacturer’s statement of origin or certificate of origin, bill of sale, recall clearance letter, NAFTA, if applicable, copies of the export certificate and invoices, the manufacturer’s statement of compliance affixed to the car, and EPA label affixed to it. 

File Automated Export System (AES) Before your Give 72-Hour Notice of Export

You will need an EIN or IRS or Duns Number from the seller along with the worksheet attached to file the AES. The filing should be handled by a resident U. S. domicile company. The AES declaration can be filed by a customs broker, freight forwarder, or United States Principal Party in Interest. When the AES is accepted, an Internal Transaction Number (ITN) will be issued. You will need this number along with the request to start the 72-hour notice with U. S. Customs and Border Protection.

If your documentation is accurate and complete, the U. S. Customs and Border Protection will start the export checks and complete these within 72 hours of receipt. Keep in mind that at the time of exit from the United States, you must supply the vehicle and original documents to U. S. Customs at the port of export in person. Also, make sure to confirm the U. S. port being used and make sure the desired port permits vehicle export processing. 

Beulah Kshlerin


Previous article

Why should you go for Sanderson Leaf Springs?

Next article

You may also like


Comments are closed.

More in Business