In New York, every person must carry personal injury protection worth $50,000, and this is a no-fault insurance. This means that even if you had a role in a car accident that has caused you injuries, you are still eligible to get compensation under personal injury protection. The compensation mostly goes towards payment of medical bills and loss of wages. Expectedly, this amount is not enough, especially when your injuries are severe and your medical bills are likely to pile up.
If another party was responsible for your condition, you need to ensure that you file for a personal injury lawsuit, within 3 years from the date of accident, as per the statute of limitations in New York. If you are unsure of where to start, consider contacting someone who provides legal services in Syracuse, NY. Their experts will guide further how to proceed with the case. Below is an overview of the things you must discuss when meeting a personal injury lawyer in Syracuse.
- Their expertise. As a client, you have every right to know a personal injury lawyer in depth. You need to know if they have the necessary experience and expertise for handling your matter, and more importantly, they must be willing to discuss some of their recent cases.
- Possible outcomes. A good personal injury lawyer will always explain in depth as what to expect from the case. They will share what you can get in terms of compensations, and factors that may influence the same.
- About the insurance company. Insurance companies are not your best friend after an accident. In fact, they may just deny or delay your claim for no apparent reason, or may even shift the blame on you. Ask the personal injury lawyer if they are going to deal with the insurance company.
- Possible trial. Most car accidents and personal injury-related claims are resolved through negotiation, but there is always a chance that the matter may go to court. We strongly suggest that you select an attorney, who can also handle things at court.
- Expenses involved. One of the key things that must be discussed is the cost involved. Most personal injury lawyers prefer to take a part of the compensation as their fee, and that’s a good arrangement, because you only pay for their work if they get a fair amount.
Check online now for the top-rated personal injury lawyers in New York.